Note: this is a follow-on to the initial issue raised in support forum on June 10th: The locationID that I included in the upload spreadsheet appears on each record in the search list but NOT in the individual records.
Yesterday, the following issue occurred with the locationID:
In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW
What operating system were you using? Windows 10
What web browser were you using? Chrome 83
What is your role on the site? researcher role used (paulk user id)
What happened? Logged in; submitted photo via Submit an Encounter page; selected locationID: Africa - South. When checking the encounter after submission, locationID showed up as Africa (in search table) and Africa - All in Encounter record. Repeated submission process with several other photos and same issue occurred on all.
I found the issue in our mapping file. "Africa - West " was mapped to “Africa - All”. This issue only affected manual submission. The bulk uploader will accept any value you give it for Encounter.locationID (but see below because there is a fixed list of values that should be used).
The value remains displayed as “Africa - All” because it was erroneously recorded in the database that way via direct submission. If you set it to Africa - West now, the value will take.
One long-term consideration: Encounter.locationID is a fixed vocabulary defined in this file for ACW here:
It is meant to grow and evolve as more study sites are added. And it allows names to be more descriptive and change without changing the value.
For every study site there is a friendlier, hierarchical “name” that can be changed at any time in the file. There is also an “id” value, which is what gets recorded in the database. Generally they map 1-to-1 name=value. Where there’s some amount of older data with an older “id”, the name may evolve and differ while the “id” does not to keep the data consistent. The only difference between name and id right now is:
name: “Africa - All”
The id is always the value to use with bulk import. All of the mappings look clean now with distinct id values.
We have stopped doing bulk uploads while we wait for answers / fixes to the data issues we reported a couple of weeks ago - occurrence ID + alternate ID both not displaying consistently in all records uploaded; negative GPS not being uploaded as negative (putting the location in Chad instead of Botswana).